(updated September 2017)
- WHO 2016 - Minimum technical standards and recommendations for rehabilitation for EMTs
- WHO 2013 - Guidance note on disability and emergency risk management for health
Official Committee Publications, Presentations and Posters (reverse chronological)
in support of an official activity or commissioned by the ISPRM President's Cabinet
- Khan F, Amatya B. THE 2021 DELISA LECTURE: Update in disaster rehabilitation: an International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ISPRM) perspective. Am J Phy Med Rehabil 2021 Apr 13 (Epub ahead of publication) Doi: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000001760
- Li Ja, Xia W, Zhan C, Liu S, Yin Z, Wang J, et al. Effectiveness of a telerehabilitation program for COVID-19 survivors (TERECO) on exercise capacity, pulmonary function, lower limb muscle strength, and quality of life: a randomized controlled trial. medRxiv 2021: 2021.2003.2008.21253007.
- Lee SY, Mansoor SN, et al. Functional outcome and community reintegration of survivors following disasters: a community-based survey in Pakistan. JISPRM 2021;4:90-9.
- Khan F, Amatya B. Medical rehabilitation in pandemics: towards a new perspective. J Rehabil Med 2020; 20: jrm00043.
- Amatya B, Khan F. Rehabilitation Response in Pandemics. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2020; 99(8):663-8.
- Amatya B, Khan F. COVID-19 in developing countries: a rehabilitation perspective. J Int Soc Phy Rehab Med 2020 2020; 3(2): 69-74.
- Song K, Khan F. Cancer rehabilitation during the COVID-19 pandemic: an overview of special consideration. J Int Soc Phy Rehab Med 2020; 3(2): 38-44.
- Li J. Insights on the impact of rehabilitation medicine on COVID-19 management. J Int Soc Phy Rehab Med 2020; 3(2):35-7
- Reinhardt JD, Zhang X, Van Dyke C, Ehrmann C, Li L, Zhao Z, Zhou M & Li H (2020): Post-traumatic stress disorder in a population of 2008 Wenchuan earthquake survivors with disabilities: the role of environmental barriers, Disabil Rehabil 2020, DOI: 10.1080/09638288.2020.1714756
- Lee SY, Amatya B, Galea MP, Khan F. Preparedness among medical rehabilitation professionals for deployment to future disaster settings. JISPRM 2020;3(1):5-10.
- Uddin T, Islam MT, Rahim HR, Islam MJ, Hossiane MS, Hassan MI, et al. Rehabilitation Perspectives of COVID-19 Pandemic in Bangladesh. J Bangladesh Coll Phys Surg 2020; 38: 76-81) DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/jbcps.v38i0.47345
- Ahmad I, Rathore FA. Neurological manifestations and complications of COVID-19: a literature review. Preprints 2020, 2020040. doi: 10.20944/preprints202004.0453.v1.
- Kimuli Balikuddembe J, Zeng X, Chen C. Health-Related Rehabilitation after the 2008 Great Wenchuan Earthquake in China: A Ten Year Retrospective Systematic Review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Mar 29;17(7):2297. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17072297.
- Reinhardt J, Fu B, Balikuddembe J. Healthcare Challenges After Disasters in Lesser Developed Countries. From; the Oxford Research Encyclopedia, natural hazard science (oxfordre.com/naturalhazardscience); 2019; Oxford University Press, USA. DOI: 10.1093/acrefore/9780199389407.013.337.
- Amatya B, Lee SY, Galea M, Khan F. Disaster Rehabilitation Response Plan: now or never. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2020, 99: 170-177
- Lee SY, Amatya B, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for rehabilitation in traumatic brain injury: a critical appraisal. Brain Injury, 33:10, 1263-1271.
- Lee SY, Amatya B, et al. Applicability of traumatic brain injury rehabilitation interventions in natural disaster settings, Brain Injury, 33:1293-8.
- Uddin T, Islam MT, Rathore FA, O’ConnelL C. Disability and rehabilitation medicine in Bangladesh: current scenario and future perspectives. J Int Soc Phy Rehab Med 2019; 2(4):168-77.
- Khan F, Amatya B, et al. Rehabilitation in disaster relief (Invited Chapter). Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2019, 30:723–47.
- Li J, Li LSW. Development of rehabilitation in China. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2019; 30: 769-774.
- Uddin T, Islam MT, Gosney JE. 2017 Bangladesh landslides: physical rehabilitation perspective. Disabil Rehabil 2019: 1-8.
- Uddin T, Khasru MR, et al. Rehabilitation in Bangladesh. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2019; 30: 795-805.
- Dhakal R, Groves CC. Rehabilitation in Nepal. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2019, 30:787–794.
- Geberemichael, SG, Tannor AY, et al. Rehabilitation in Africa. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2019;30:757-68.
- Alnattah M, Gosney Jr JE. Physical Rehabilitation of Orthopedic Conditions in Austere Environments. Gosselin et al. (eds.), in Global Orthopedics, 2019, Springer Nature Switzerland; page: 549-554.
- Khan F, Amatya B, Avirmed B, Yi YK, Shirmen B, Tsegmid N, Abbott G, Galea MP. WHO Global Disability Action Plan: the Mongolian Perspective. J Rehabil Med 2018; 50: 358–366.
- Khan F, Amatya B, de Groote W, Owolabi MO, Syed I, Hajjoui A, Babur MN, Sayed TM, Frizzell Y, Naicker AS, Fourtassi M, Elmalik A, Galea MP. Capacity-Building in Clinical Skills of Rehabilitation Workforce in Low- and Middle- Income Countries. J Rehabil Med 2018 50(5):472-479.
- Khan F, Owolabi MO, Amatya B, Hamzat TK, Ogunniyi A, Oshinowo H, Elmalik A, Galea MP. Challenges and barriers for implementation of the WHO Global Disability Action Plan in Low- and Middle- Income Countries. J Rehabil Med 2018; 50: 367–376.
- Amatya B, Vasudevan V, Zhang N, Chopra S, Astrakhantseva I, Khan F. Emergency Medical Team-Minimum Technical Standards and Recommendation for TBI Specialists Care Team. J Int Soc Phy Rehab Med 2018:5(5):2018.
- Khan F, Amatya B, Sayed TM, Butt AW, Jamil K, Iqbal W, Elmalik A, Rathore FA, Abbott G. The World Health Organisation - Disability Action Plan 2014–2021: Challenges and Perspectives for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in Pakistan. J Rehabil Med 2017; 49: 10–21.
- Khan F, Amatya B. Refugee health and rehabilitation: challenges and response. J Rehabil Med 2017 49: 378–384
- Amatya B, Galea MP, Li J, Khan F. Medical rehabilitation in disaster relief: towards a new perspective. J Rehabil Med 2017;:49: 620-628.
- Philippine Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine aid mission project (November 2013–February 2014): the role of physiatrists in Super Typhoon Haiyan (Publication)
- 2013 - The NHV rehabilitation services program improves long-term physical functioning in survivors of the 2008 Sichuan Earthquake (Publication)
- BAPMR 2016 - WHO Emergency Medical Team Initiative & related ISPRM Disaster Relief Committee activities (Presentation)
- RI 2016 - Disability inclusion and physical rehabilitation across the disaster continuum – international perspective (Presentation)
Previous ISPRM World Congresses
- 2016 earthquake in central Italy - Germano Pestelli (Italy)
- Financial perspectives in disaster management - Taslim Uddin (Bangladesh)
- Christchurch earthquake - The New Zealand experience - Shaun Xiong (New Zealand)
- Update in disaster management in China - Jianan Li (China)
- Medical rehabilitation in natural disasters in the Pacific Island countries - Bhasker Amatya (Australia)
- Experience Of Telemedicine After 2015 Mega Earthquake Disaster At Spinal Injury Rehabilitation Centre, Nepal
- Use of the SIMFER Mobile Tent to Provide Rehabilitation Services in Italy following Earthquakes
- Nature Call Awakening the Sleeping MARP
- Medical Rehabilitation in Natural Disasters
- WHO Emergency Medical Team Initiative & ‘WHO minimum technical standards and recommendations for rehabilitation for EMTs (ISPRM-WHOII Session)
- Analysis of Early Physical Rehabilitation (EPR) activities and impact on the local rehabilitation system after the destruction of Kunduz Trauma Care Center in Afghanistan (Short Oral Session)
- Disability and environmental factors in spinal cord injured 2008 Wenchuan earthquake victims seven years after the disaster (E-poster)
- Functional recovery of trauma patients receiving early physical rehabilitation in the Kunduz (Afghanistan) MSF Trauma Center (E-poster)
- Rapid implementation of medical rehabilitation team at Spinal Injury Rehabilitation Centre, Nepal during the 2015 Earthquake (E-poster)
- Programme (ISPRM CRDR Rehabilitation Disaster Relief [RDR] Proceedings)
- Global Rehabilitation Disaster Relief: WHO Emergency Medical Team Initiative & ISPRM CRDR (International Collaboration Plenary Session)
- Development of the Nepalese Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (NAPM&R) (International Collaboration Plenary Session)
- Epidemiology of Natural Disasters in Asia-Oceania (RDR Track: Experience in AO Region)
- PARM Disaster Response Program' (RDR Track: Experience in AO Region)
- Nepal 2015 Earthquake Disaster Response Rehab; lessons learnt in the field: Bangladesh FMT (RDR Track: Experience in AO Region)
- Rehabilitation Response in Disasters: the Malaysian Experience' (RDR Track: Experience in AO Region)
- RDR in Iran' (RDR Track: Experience in AO Region)
- Assessment Of Humanitarian Competencies Using The CBHA Core Humanitarian Competencies Framework: Do You Have The Right Stuff' (Educational Workshop)
- The NHV model in disaster rehabilitation
- PARM CARES: model ISPRM national society disaster rehabilitation program
- Preparing and training rehabilitation professionals for deployment in disasters: the example of the UK International Emergency Trauma Register
- Rehabilitation in natural disaster: focusing South East Asia regional cooperation
- Programme ('Rehabilitation Doctors as Leaders on Rehabilitation Response Teams in Disasters’)
- Emilio Earthquake (Italy; 2012)
- Great East Japan Earthquake & Tsunami: activities in the Japanese Association of Rehabilitation Medicine (JARM) and Niigata prefecture (2011)
- Role of the philippine physiatrist in a large-scale natural disaster: the PARM experience in Typhoon Haiyan (Philippines; 2013)
- Cyclone SIDR & Savar building collapse (Bangladesh; 2007, 2013)
- Role of PRM doctors and therapists interacting with NGOs in disaster relief and challenging settings: Handicap International perspective
- Injury patterns and projected rehabilitation needs as a result of the January 12, 2010 Earthquake in Haiti
- Leadership in disaster management: Nepal Earthquake (2015)
- Guidance document questionnaire (Presentation)
- A comprehensive rehabilitation service improves functioning and quality of life in spinal cord injured earthquake victims
- Role of a foreign non-profit rehabilitation association in a large-scale natural disaster: the PAPA experience in typhoon Haiyan, a program report (Poster)
- Role of the philippine physiatrist in a large-scale natural disaster
- Training seminars for disaster rehabilitation coordinators to prepare for massive disasters in Japan (Poster)
- Building the ISPRM disaster acute rehabilitation team (DART) program
- Developing the ISPRM registry of rehabilitation disaster relief experts
- Development of an ISPRM rapid rehabilitation response capability in support of the WHO FMT (Foreign Medical Team) initiative
- Lessons learned from the experience of the Great East Japan earthquake and disaster
- Long-term effectiveness and efficiency of rehabilitation services delivery for victims with disabilities from the 2008 Sichuan earthquake
- Rehabilitation disaster relief: theory, science and practice
- Role of PRM doctors and therapists interacting with NGO's in disaster relief and challenging settings: Handicap International perspective
- Disaster in Bangladesh: Savar building collapse (Committee Business Session)
- Barriers and opportunities to the Iimplementation of a comprehensive rehabilitation strategy in post-earthquake Haiti
- Challenges in rehabilitation nursing in case of natural disasters in third world countries
- Comparison of patient education in rehabilitation of spinal cord injuries in Switzerland and in low economic countries
- Comprehensive rehabilitation on amputation patients after crush injuries sustained during the Wenchuan earthquake
- Faced with the Great Eastern Japan earthquake disaster – what can the Japanese association of rehabilitation medicine (JARM) do ?
- Haiti - from a post earthquake visit of one month to a collaboration of five years. Building a rehabilitation center for SCI patients
- Medical rehabilitation after disasters: why, when, how?
- A new institutional based rehabilitation model after the Sichuan earthquake in China
- Quality of life and social function of earthquake survivors with spinal cord injury one year after returning to community
- Rehabilitation disaster relief: value of a regional large rehabilitation institution after Sichuan earthquake
- Rehabilitation needs in persons with spinal cord injuryin post-earthquake Haiti
- SCI rehabilitation in post earthquake Haiti - early responses, critical successes, and longer term challenges
- Surgical and rehabilitation interventions in response to the Haiti earthquake
- Training of local rehabilitation service providers: a milestone towards effectiveness and long-term sustainability of post-disaster interventions